The TriARC Volunteer Examiner Team is accredited through the Laurel VEC and offers NO COST amateur radio (ham radio) exams to the community in San Diego County. We can also make arrangements to offer “on request” as well as special accommodations sessions for visual, hearing, or mobility impaired individuals. To find out more please call Jon, KK6NLW at 619-393-1988
To register for our next free exam session click here.
To view our calendar of coming events and exam sessions click here.
Before the Exam:
- Make sure to give yourself time to study for the exam (at least a week, a couple hours each day). There are many excellent forms of free study material. We recommend the “No-Nonsense Study Guide to Ham Radio” by KB6NU and HamStudy.org (both excellent!).
- Make sure to register for an FRN (FCC Registration Number). This is the number that identifies you to the FCC (instead of using your social security number).
- Pre-register with us for our next upcoming exam session. While we do allow walk-ins, pre-registering allows us to estimate head count and have all the paperwork you need pre-filled out for you.
Day of the Exam:
- Bring a vaild government issue photo ID. (For minors or those without a photo ID, a birth certificate AND school ID card will be accepted. Contact us for more information if needed.)
- If you have an outstanding CSCE from another exam session that haven’t been processed by the FCC, you’ll want to bring that.
- A calculator if you need one. (Calculator apps on cellphones/tablets can not be used, sorry).
After the Exam:
- If you pass your exam, your application will be filed with the FCC within two business days. If we hold exams on Saturday or Sunday, new callsigns are usually issued Monday morning. If the exam is held during the week (and it’s not a holiday), there is a chance you could get your callsign the same day. We will email you letting you know when your callsign has been issued or you can look yourself up in the FCC’s ULS Database.
- Once your callsign has been issued, you may go on air right away with your new privileges.